LibraTax cannot provide official legal or tax advice. Please consult with a licensed tax preparer to ensure you file and pay taxes correctly. We’ve partnered with several professionals who you may hire.

This would not be part of your Schedule D or capital gains/losses, but could potentially be expenses you could itemize on a Schedule A, however, this would only be if you are itemizing your deductions and not taking a standard deduction. Also, we have seen some feedback that this also only applies on the itemized deduction if it exceeds 2% of your adjusted gross income, because it is a miscellaneous itemized deduction. You should consult with a licensed tax preparer.